Ingredients of Halloween Manju
- Prepare 200 grams of Pancake mix.
- You need 259 grams of with skins attached Kobocha Squash (frozen is also OK).
- It’s 60 ml of Milk.
- It’s 30 grams of Sugar.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Skim Milk.
- Prepare 1 of just 1 pinch Salt.
Halloween Manju step by step
- Cut peeled kabocha into approximate sizes, and boil until you can pierce it through with a toothpick. You will use the skins for decoration when making the Kabocha faces, so boil a little of the skin together with the pumpkin..
- After boiling, mash up all of the Kabocha except for the skin. Set aside 50g of the mashed kabocha. This is to knead into the dough..
- In a bowl, mix the pancake mix and kabocha (50g) with salt until the color has become uniform. After mixing it to a crumbly mixture, add the milk. Once it has lost its stickiness and become smooth, wrap in plastic wrap, and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes..
- Kabocha Paste: Add the remaining kabocha to a pot, add sugar and skim milk, heat over low heat, mix well, and let it cool..
- Take out the dough from the fridge, divide into 8 equal portions, spread out the dough, and wrap in the kabocha paste..
- After shaping, cut out eyes, noses, and mouths from the kabocha skin, and stick it on the dough..
- I added black sesame seeds on top of the others..
- Cut parchment paper big enough to set 1 manju on top of (8 sheets)..
- After steam has risen, line them up in a steamer, and steam-cook over a medium heat for 10-12 minutes, and they are done..