Alligator chili and beans. In this episode of "What's Cooking?" Michael travels to Mendham, New Jersey where Allrecipes home cook, Doug, teaches us how to make Alligator Chili! As a vegetarian, I was impressed with this recipe, because I could easily substitute extra beans (cannellini and black beans) and vegetables for the alligator meat (I hate soy and won't use it!). This recipe has lots of beans and spices, so it's a great basic chili recipe.
Ingredients of Alligator chili and beans
- You need 1 lb of alligator meat.
- It’s 1 lb of ground chuck.
- It’s 1 of sweet onion med diced.
- It’s 1 of green bell pepper med diced.
- You need 15 oz of black beans drained.
- You need 15 oz of kidney beans drained.
- You need 32 oz of crushed tomatoes.
- It’s 32 oz of V8 tomato juice spicy hot.
- You need 2 tbsp of Evoo.
- It’s of sea salt.
- Prepare of black pepper.
- It’s 2 tsp of Ghost pepper infused salt (optional).
- It’s 1 tbsp of Cajun seasoning.
- Prepare 2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- It’s 2 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 1 tsp of ground ginger.
- You need 2 tbsp of chili powder.
- You need 2 tsp of celery salt.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of marjoram leaves.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ground cumin.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of smoked paprika.
- It’s 2 of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, minced.
Today, there are oddities like scallop chili, duck chili, squid chili, chicken chili, alligator chili and more. Alligator is cooked up in a spicy piquante sauce and served over rice for a hearty, manly meal. · I've never had alligator before and never thought of it in chili, so this recipe caught my eye. Native Seminole Indian Braves caught alligators in Florida and other southern. I've never had alligator before and never thought of it in chili, so this recipe caught my eye.
Alligator chili and beans step by step
- Oil large skillet with evoo and sweat onions and bell pepper at low heat until onions become translucent..
- Put all dry (excluding salt and black pepper) seasonings in a separate bowl and mix them.
- Once onions are translucent transfer onions and bell peppers to crock pot.
- Use skillet to cook the ground chuck and ground alligator meat, raise to med high heat and constantly fold in pinches of the salt and pepper until to desired taste and evenly brown..
- Add small amounts of dry seasoning mixture to developed flavor then add beans, crushed tomatoes, chipotle peppers to skillet and continually stirring and pinching in seasonings.
- Once at a good simmer and flavor has reached desired level add mixture into crock pot with V8 juice and all remaining seasonings..
- Thoroughly mix and place at 2 and a half hours on low heat.
- After done cooking give a taste to see if any additional salt, pepper, or spice would be desired, if so add, mix and simmer for 5 minutes then enjoy.
The mix of meats is just right. You can taste the creole seasoning added, but it's not overwhelming. The chili's chunky and stick-to-your-ribs good. Alligator Chili Recipe. by Global Cookbook. Add in pinto beans, tomatoes, tomato paste salt, pepper, cumin, and jalapeno.