Vickys Venison Cider Casserole, GF DF EF SF NF.
Ingredients of Vickys Venison Cider Casserole, GF DF EF SF NF
- You need 675 grams of venison shoulder, diced.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of gluten-free / plain flour.
- It’s of salt & pepper, I use 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
- It’s 2 tbsp of sunflower spread / butter.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, sliced.
- Prepare 500 grams of butternut squash, pumpkin or sweet potato, peeled and diced into big chunks.
- Prepare 1 of large cooking apple, peeled, cored & diced into chunks.
- It’s 400 ml of apple cider (or pure apple juice).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of free-from worcestershire sauce or soy sauce from my links below.
- You need 3 tbsp of maple syrup.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 100 grams of frozen peas.
- Prepare 2 tsp of gravy granules * see note below * or 2 tsp cornflour / corn starch.
Vickys Venison Cider Casserole, GF DF EF SF NF instructions
- Preheat the oven to gas 3 / 170C / 325°F or set a slow cooker / crockpot on high.
- Season the flour with salt & pepper then toss the venison in the flour. Melt the sunflower spread in a frying pan and brown the diced venison. Don't cook it right through.
- Remove the venison from the pan and put it into a large casserole dish or slow cooker. Put the pan back on the stove.
- Layer the onion on top of the venison in the casserole dish, then the butternut squash / sweet potato then the apple.
- Pour the cider into the frying pan. Bring it to the boil then stir in the cinnamon, worcestershire sauce & maple syrup and take off the heat https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/338187-vickys-homemade-worcestershire-sauce-vegan https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/332952-vickys-soy-sauce-substitute.
- Pour into the casserole dish, put the lid on and cook for 2.5 – 3 hours in the oven or for 4 – 5 hours on high in the slow cooker, adding the peas in the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- Let stand 10 minutes then toss very gently to mix before serving.
- To thicken the gravy, strain the liquid into a saucepan and boil. Add 2 tsp gravy granules or 2 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp cold water into the pan and stir. Keep stirring throughout to avoid clumping.
- Add the gravy back into the casserole and serve with crusty bread or seasonal vegetables.
- Bisto Original Gravy Granules in the brown cardboard rectangular box is dairy, egg and soy-free with but contains wheat which is a shame as the main ingredient is potato starch. Bisto Best Gravy in the glass jars are free from gluten, dairy and egg but contain soya lecithins. There are other free-from gravy granules available such as the Kallo brand that are also gluten-etc-free.