🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh). Crispy fried tempeh is tossed in addicting spicy sambal sauce is a popular Indonesian dish and a great source of meatless protein. The tempeh is deep-fried or pan-fried and then cooked with a spicy, sweet, and slightly tangy sauce. This goes very well as side dish with nasi lemak /coconut milk.
Ingredients of 🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh)
- It’s of A) INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET FRIED TEMPEH (can also be eaten separately with salads as a protein topping).
- It’s of For 2 -3 servings.
- You need of □ 1 packet of tempeh (200g), cut into size of Lego bricks approx 1.25"x 0.5".
- Prepare of □ ¼ tsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare of □ ½ tsp of coriander powder.
- You need of □ ¾ tbsp of palm sugar or grated Gula Melaka.
- It’s of □ 1 calamansi lime.
- It’s of □ Salt.
- It’s of □ Olive oil spray.
- You need of □ 2½ tbsp of virgin olive oil.
- You need of B) INGREDIENTS FOR SPICE PASTE OR 'THE REMPAH'.
- You need of □ 3/4 cup of shallots, halved (about 8 -12 pcs).
- Prepare of □ 4 -5 cloves of garlic, approx 2 tbsp.
- It’s of □ One finger of turmeric, 1.25" x 0.5” x 0.5”.
- You need of □ 2 tbsp of galangal or two slices 2” x 1”.
- You need of □ 2 stalks of lemongrass, the white part only, roughly chopped, approx. 3 tbsp.
- It’s of □ 2 slices of ginger, 1.5"x 1".
- Prepare of □ 1/4 tsp of limes zest.
- You need of □ 3 kaffir lime leaves (optional).
- Prepare C. of INGREDIENTS TO COOK SAMBAL GORENG.
- It’s of □ Rempah or Spice Paste (From B).
- It’s of □ 2½ cups of long beans, 1.5" pieces, cut at an angle.
- You need of □ 150g or about 2 cups of white button mushroom, quartered.
- It’s of □ 2 red chilies, sliced bias cut and deseeded with a teaspoon.
- It’s of □ 1/3 cup of Sambal Tumis (from previous recipe).
- It’s of □ 1/2 cup of coconut milk + extra.
- You need of □ 1 cup tamarind juice made from loosening 1 tbsp of tamarind pulp in water and strained.
- Prepare of □ Juice of 2 calamansi limes, remove any seeds.
- Prepare of □ ½ tbsp of palm sugar or Gula Melaka + some extra to taste.
- You need of □ Pan-fried sweet tempeh (From A).
- It’s of □ 1/3 cup of baked unsalted cashews.
- You need of □ Salt.
- Prepare of □ Oil.
This is super crunchy and is worth every step of the recipe. Tempeh Goreng: Indonesian Spicy-Sweet Tempeh [Vegan]. This is an Indonesian dish traditionally served at Ramadan where tempeh is simmered in a flavourful sauce. Then add the tempeh and heat through.
🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh) instructions
- A. FRY UP TEMPEH 1. Bring a non-stick pan to medium – medium high heat. Add a light coat of oil and fry tempeh cubes with a fine dusting of salt until slightly charred or when 80 -85% of white in tempeh is no longer visible (about 10 to 15 mins) Note: Spray in more oil when it gets too dry and use a pair of tongs or chopsticks to regularly turn tempeh over to ensure even charring..
- 2. Set timer to 12 mins and cover with coriander, turmeric and another fine dusting of salt. Fry for 3 to 4 mins turning tempeh over for even coating. 3. Now add palm sugar on top. Note: if using moist or sticky palm sugar, separate clumps with fingers first and sprinkle evenly over tempeh in pan..
- 4. Squeeze in juice of lime. Toss and stir rapidly to distribute and coat sugar evenly across tempeh blocks. Fry for another 3 to 5 mins until almost all of the white is gone and the sugar has caramelized into dark glittery caramelized spots. A crisp charred ‘standalone’ tempeh is ready to be eaten as a snack, kept in fridge as protein for salads or made into Sambal Goreng as with this recipe..
- B. MAKE SPICE PASTE OR REMPAH 1. Blend all ingredients until a smooth paste. Add small amounts of water to ease the process. Reminder: Hardy root vegetables/ rhizomes like galangal should be cut into small pieces first before blending, so there are no long fibrous strands when eating..
- C. COOK SAMBAL GORENG 1. Bring a wok to medium high heat and add 3.5 tbsp of oil. 2. Fry spice paste until fragrant and cooked through, 5 to 12 mins. Normally we wait for the oil to break and float, but here (because of the healthier use of less oil) it’s enough when the spice paste turns clumpy, dry, aromatic and just before it burns to proceed with the next step..
- 3. Drop in the long beans, mushrooms and sliced chilies, spray in a small amount of oil and stir-fry with a ½ tsp of salt for 2 to 5 mins until sliced chilies slightly soften. 4. Then add the Sambal Tumis, coat well and fry for 2 to 3 mins until fragrant. 5. Now add tamarind water, lime juice, coconut milk and palm sugar. Cook on medium heat for 6 to 7 mins to allow veggies time to soften and cook through..
- 6. Add fried tempeh back into the mix with cashews, stir and reduce to a bubbling simmer for 5 mins. Slowly add salt to taste. 7. Cook until almost all the liquid evaporates or when a thick creamy gravy emerges coating the veggies. Adjust for taste further with 1 tbsp of coconut milk each time or some palm sugar to sweeten. 8.(Optional) Garnish with sliced red chilies before serving..
Tempeh (or tempe) is cultured cooked soy beans sold in blocks. Considered purely of Indonesian origin, tempeh has a nutty flavour and is a great source of protein. Dark palm sugar is made from the coconut palm; in Indonesia it's called gula Jawa. Indonesian Sambal Recipe Indonesian Cuisine Spicy Recipes Asian Recipes Ethnic Recipes Sambal Sauce Malay Food Bali Popular Recipes. Kumpulan Resep Masakan Indonesia Sederhana Kreatif Untuk Variasi Menu Makan Praktis Sehari-hari Serta Camilan dan Aneka Kue Tradisional Nusantara.