Pot Roast. Pot roasts typically use the tougher cuts of beef—a chuck roast or shoulder roast—which have the most flavor. For pot roasts, and other slow cooked tough meats, fat is your friend! Pot roast is a beef dish made by slow-cooking a usually tough cut of beef in moist heat, sometimes with vegetables.
Ingredients of Pot Roast
- Prepare 3-4 lb of boneless chuck roast, trimmed.
- It’s 2 of large yellow onions; large dice.
- It’s 3 stalks of celery; large dice.
- Prepare 3 of carrots; about 1/4" inch thick.
- You need 2 of large Idaho potatoes; peeled & large dice.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic; creamed.
- It’s 4 C of beef stock.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 T of tomato paste.
- It’s 2 T of fresh rosemary; minced.
- It’s 2 t of fresh thyme; minced.
- You need 1/4 C of worcestershire sauce.
- It’s as needed of kosher salt & black pepper.
- It’s as needed of vegetable oil.
- You need as needed of fresh parsley; minced.
Thanks to Turo for sponsoring this video! Pot roast was a one-pot wonder long before that was a term for homey dishes that are both inexpensive and require little hands-on cooking. This dish has long been the Sunday night dinner that. Classic Sunday Pot Roast is an easy to make comfort food that is hearty, filling, and can easily feed the whole family.
Pot Roast instructions
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Season roast with half the thyme and rosemary, salt, and pepper..
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven. Sear roast on all sides and remove to a plate..
- Add onions, carrots, and the remaining rosemary and thyme. Cook until onions begin to caramelize. Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds..
- Add tomato paste. Cook 1 minute..
- Add worcestershire sauce. Scrape up any brown bits remaining on the bottom of the pot. Cook until nearly dry..
- Return roast to pot. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer. Cover..
- Transfer to oven. Cook for 3-4 hours or until roast is tender..
- Garnish with parsley..
- Variations; Cola, roasted garlic, bouqet garni, canola oil, bacon fat, crushed pepper flakes, red potatoes, fingerlings, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, parsnip, butternut squash, acorn squash, scallions, chives, leeks, red wine, beer, root beer, oregano, zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, paprika, shallots, pearl onion, asparagus, fennel, dried onion soup mix, chile puree, mushrooms.
This recipe will work for a classic oven braise as well as in a slow cooker or Instant. Pot roast is a classic comfort food and the ultimate way to feed a crowd. Simply add all the ingredients to a slow cooker or Crock Pot, and you'll have dinner ready when you get home from work. Slow Cooker Pot Roast is the ultimate comfort food! It's a super hearty, deliciously flavorful meal in one that's sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.