Yankee Pot Roast.
Ingredients of Yankee Pot Roast
- It’s 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 of chuck roast (2-3 lbs.).
- You need Dash of salt and black pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp. of paprika.
- You need 1 tsp. of thyme.
- It’s 2 cups of beef broth.
- It’s 1 cup of red wine.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 sprig of rosemary.
- You need 1 of medium onion, cut into wedges (8 pieces).
- You need 1 lb. of medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- You need 2 of celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- You need 1 can (6 oz.) of tomato paste.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of clove (grated or powdered).
- You need 1/2 tsp. of allspice (ground or powdered).
- You need 1/4 cup of Marsala wine (optional).
- It’s 1 of red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- It’s 8 oz. of large mushrooms, halved or quartered.
Yankee Pot Roast instructions
- Preheat oven 325˚..
- Heat a large pot or heavy skillet over medium-high heat with cooking oil. Season the roast with the dried herbs and then sear the meat in the hot oiled pan for 5 minutes per side.
- Place the meat in a heavy Dutch-oven pot and add the broth, wine, and the bay leaf. Add all the onions and a small sampling of carrots and celery. [The main vegetables will be added in later].
- Cover the pot and place in a heated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes..
- Remove the pot from the oven and drain off about 2 cups of the pot juices into a small / medium sized pot. Add the tomato paste to the juices, stir occasionally, and heat until a slight boil..
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. [The gravy will begin to thicken a bit] Season with salt and pepper, including some clove and ground allspice. Add the Marsala wine to taste..
- Discard the cooked carrots and celery from the large pot and add in new ones along with the bell pepper and mushrooms and the “new” gravy..
- Carefully flip the roast over and place the pot back in the oven, uncovered, and continue to cook for another 1 hour and 20 minutes..
- The pot roast is done when the vegetables (carrots & celery) are soft to the bite. Serve with mashed potatoes or wide flat noodles..