Cantonese-Style Soy Chicken with Noodles.
Ingredients of Cantonese-Style Soy Chicken with Noodles
- You need 350 g of Chicken Meat (with skin, boneless).
- Prepare as needed of Sesame Oil (for glazing).
- Prepare 300 g of Yellow Noodles (blanched, cooled and ready to use).
- Prepare 200 g of Kai Lan (stem removed, blanched, ready to serve).
- You need 2 pc of Fresh Red Chillies (slice thinly, garnish).
- You need 20 g of Spring Onions (green part, slice thinly, garnish).
- It’s 1 pc of Japanese Cucumber (slice thinly).
- It’s of Marinate (rub the chicken with these);.
- Prepare 4 Tbsp of Sugar/Rock Sugar.
- It’s 40 g of Ginger (minced).
- It’s 20 g of Spring Onions (white part, minced).
- You need of Stewing Liquid (mix well in a pot);.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Light Soy Sauce.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Dark Soy Sauce.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar (unnecesary really).
- It’s 20 g of Spring Onions (green part, rough chop).
- You need 1 stick of Cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 pc of Bay Leaves.
- It’s 3 pc of Star Anise.
- You need 4 pc of Cloves.
Cantonese-Style Soy Chicken with Noodles step by step
- SCORE; if you are using chicken breast, score the underside of the chicken and poke a few holes through the middle of the thickest part. This will help the marination and ensure an even cooking..
- MARINADE; Rub the chicken with Ginger, Spring Onion (white part) and Sugar. In a pot mix together the Stewing Liquid and add the chicken skin-side up. Let it sit in room temperature for 30-45 minutes..
- POACHING; after 45 minutes, start cooking the pot by heating it up to a simmer or a gentle boil (not rolling boil). Cover with a lid and let the chicken cook for 8-10 minutes. After that, flip the chicken skin-side down and cook for 1-2 minutes..
- REST – after that, remove the chicken from the pot and let it rest for 10 minutes. Brush the chicken with Sesame Oil before cutting it into serving size..
- BOIL THE STEW; continue to cook the Stewing Liquid on a rolling boil for 5-10 minutes. The Stewing Liquid can be used as a sauce for the Noodles and Kai Lan.
- SERVE; cut the chicken into serving pieces and serve on a plate. In a bowl, mix in 150g of Noodles and 2 to 3 Tbsp of the Stewing Liquid. Place it next to the chicken and garnish with sliced Red Chillies and Spring Onions (green part). Place the Kai Lan onto the plate and drizzle the Stewing Liquid on top. Serve the sliced cucumbers next to it..