Short rib shepherd's pie. This short rib shepherd's pie is a great project for a chilly Sunday afternoon. A simple green salad is all you need to serve alongside this filling dish. Braising the short ribs for this hearty shepherd's pie takes a few hours, which makes it a great project for a chilly Sunday afternoon.
Ingredients of Short rib shepherd's pie
- It’s of Beef ribs.
- It’s 8 of boneless beef short ribs (about 900 g).
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- You need Handful of fresh thyme sprigs.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic, unpeeled.
- You need 1 of medium onion, unpeeled and cut in half.
- It’s 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns.
- You need of Potato mash.
- It’s 8 of medium waxy yellow potatoes, chopped into 2 cm chunks.
- You need 1/4 cup of cream cheese.
- You need 1/4 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground white pepper.
- You need of Finish.
- It’s 1 of large onion, chopped.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 of carrots, diced.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dry red wine.
- You need 1/2 cup of sweet peas.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sweet corn kernels.
- It’s 2 cups of beef stock.
- You need 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
Enjoy this day by cracking open a Guinness and taking your time cooking this. This dish makes a great Sunday supper that delivers on rich short rib flavor with the homey deliciousness of shepherd's pie. Очередь. __count__/__total__. Directions for: Short Rib Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie. Braised Short Rib Shepherd's Pie with Guinness Gravy is a many step meal that is so worth it in the end.
Short rib shepherd's pie step by step
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and sear them a few at a time in the pot, until they're evenly browned on all sides. Put all the ribs in the pot, along with the bay, thyme, garlic, onion and peppercorns. Add enough cold water so the meat's submerged about 2 cm below the surface. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 2 hours. Remove the meat and set aside..
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of cold water. Add a good pinch of salt and turn the heat up to high. Let boil until the potatoes are fork tender..
- Drain the potatoes well and put them back in the pot. Add the cream cheese, milk, salt and white pepper. Mash the potatoes until no large chunks remain. You can also run the potatoes through a sieve if you want them extra silky Use a wooden spoon and stir the mash just until it's uniform. Don't overstir or it'll become gluey. If needed, add extra milk a splash at a time. The potatoes should be just slightly on the dry side. Check the seasoning and add extra salt and white pepper as needed.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Add a splash of veg oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots and thyme and fry another 2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and wine and let simmer until the liquid's absorbed, about 2 minutes..
- Using a pair of forks, shred the beef into bite-sized chunks. Add the beef to the pan along with the peas and corn and toss to combine. Add the beef stock. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry. Add it to the pan and stir until the sauce thickens..
- Pour the beef into a high-sided 20 cm x 30 cm baking tray. Give the tray a good rap against the counter to distribute the meat evenly. Add the potatoes and use a spatula to smooth it over the beef. Put the tray uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn up to high broil and bake an additional 2 minutes, or until the edges crisp and the top turns lightly golden..
- Remove the tray from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with freshly grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan both work) or, my preference, a sprinkle of sweet smoky paprika..
You could always cook the short ribs a day Traditional Scottish Shepherd's Pie: In a land dotted white with sheep, it's not surprising that many of Scotland's national dishes feature lamb or. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with meat and vegetable gravy and cheesy mashed potatoes.