Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie. If you don't have any leftover rice, feel free to leave it out or replace with any cooked grain. Learn how to make Delicata Squash! I hope you enjoy this Delicata Squash demo!
Ingredients of Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie
- You need 4 of small delicata Squash, cleaned and cut in cubes.
- You need 2 of cups, water.
- Prepare 1 cup of cooked mashed potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of vegan chicken bouillon cube.
- Prepare 2 cups of cooked red lentils (or any lentil of your choice).
- You need 1 1/2 cup of each of chopped celery, onions and carrots.
- Prepare 1 can of tomato sauce, 8oz.
- You need 1 cup of thinly sliced green chard.
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp of Badia Mediterranean Blend.
- You need 3 of crushed garlic cloves or 1tbsp of ajo.
- It’s 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil.
- You need 1 tsp of liquid smoke.
- You need to taste of Salt/pepper.
Its small size makes it much easier to handle than other squashes and it cooks Yes! Delicata's skin is edible and is absolutely delicious. Be sure to wash the squash well before roasting as the skin is usually coated in a wax used. Delicata squash roasted brings out an exceptional sweetness that you have never tasted before!
Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie step by step
- Heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Let it get slightly hot, then add onions, celery and carrots. Stir and cook for about 10-11 minutes or until the onions are slightly translucent. Add the green chard and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Add the lentils, liquid smoke, mediterranean seasoning and tomato sauce to the veggies. Add another tbsp of coconut oil to keep the food from sticking to the pan. Cook for another 7-9 minutes. Set aside.
- Clean and cube the squash. In small pot, put in the squash, water and bouillon then cook for approx. 20-30 minutes on medium heat. Check the squash with a fork. If it's soft enough to go thru the fork then it's ready. When it's ready pour half of the liquid out of the pot. Add the cooked mashed potatoes to the squash then start to mash the ingredients together. When it becomes a smooth mixture, stir until fully blended..
- Take a 8"or 9" casserole dish and add the veggie mix to the dish. Evenly spread the mix throughout the dish. Take squash/potatoe mashed mix and put on top evenly coating the dish. Set oven to broil. Broil the dish for 10-15 minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Bon Appetite!.
Get this in the oven and enjoy the sweetness of this I recently discovered delicata squash and I cannot believe this squash has been missing from my life. I always thought it looked funny and figured that it. The perfect plant-based Thanksgiving side Funny story: I thought I hated delicata squash (before I ever tried it). I'd walk through the grocery store, eyeing these mystifying, skinny little devils. Today I'm sharing my thoughts on gratitude, with a delicious Acorn Squash Shepherd's Pie Recipe, a potluck dish or great weeknight meal.