Sweet soy-sauce boiled vegetables with chicken. Caramelized Sweet Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks – a.k.a. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; arrange chicken in a large vegetable steamer. Soy Sauce Chicken or "See Yao Gai" is a quintessential Cantonese favorite, found hanging under heat lamps in many Chinatown restaurant windows.
Ingredients of Sweet soy-sauce boiled vegetables with chicken
- It’s 1 of chicken breast (200g), bite size cut.
- You need 1 of konjac (jelly-like food made from potatoes).
- Prepare 1 of carrot ☆.
- It’s 1/4 of kabocha ☆.
- It’s 5 cm piece of lotus root ☆.
- Prepare 1 of burdock root ☆.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- Prepare 1 tsp of hondashi.
- You need 200 cc of water.
- It’s 2 TBSP of sugar.
- It’s 2 TBSP of cooking sake.
- You need 2 TBSP of soy-sauce.
- You need 1 TBSP of mirin.
Add potatoes, water, sweet soy sauce, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and white pepper into the pot and bring to a boil. Adjust with salt and sugar as needed. Remove the chicken from the bag and place it on the grill (skin-side down if using skin-on), cover the. Chinese Soy Sauce Chicken – Typical Cantonese recipe commonly found at Chinese BBQ Soy Sauce Chicken – dark and glossy whole chicken dunked in a soy sauce mix.
Sweet soy-sauce boiled vegetables with chicken step by step
- In a boiling water, put konjac for 3 minutes to remove the smell. After the boil, cut them to bite size by using spoon. (this way, the flavor will sink easier).
- Peel lotus root and cut into 1/2 inch then 1/4 shape. Put them into cold water to remove the harshness..
- Cut all the other vegetables into bite sizes except onion..
- Cut onion 1/4 because it will melt. Other root vegetables won’t melt..
- Cut chicken into bite sizes. Put down with paper towel to remove any water. Season with salt..
- In a large pan, medium-high heat, drizzle oil and sauté chicken until it’s golden brown. 5 minutes..
- Mix ☆vegetables into the pan. Input the ones they are hard to get sautéed like kabocha, lotus root, carrots, konjac and burdock root. The last one is onion..
- After it’s all mixed add water and hondashi broth. Remove any scums from the soup after boiling..
- Now, add sugar and cooking sake. Turn the heat to medium-low. Cover the face of the vegetables with aluminum foil. Cover with lid as well and cook for 10 minutes..
- Add soy sauce and cook for 7 minutes, same way as above. You should not have not much sauce left after 7 minutes. Check the pot often. If the heat is too high, you might burn it..
- Turn the heat to high and pour over mirin to have it shine, one minute..
Add a few hard-boiled eggs into the soy sauce mix and steep them overnight and you have some great tasting Chinese soy. In a cup or bowl whisk the cold water or pineapple juice with cornstarch until smooth and well blended, then whisk vigorously into the ketchup mixture; bring to a boil stirring or whisking constantly over medium-high heat until bubbly. Indonesian sweet soy sauce aka kecap manis is one of my most used sauces besides soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir fry, noodles, fried rice…and believe it or not, my own concoction of Chinese stew (may share in another time). Soy sauce – I like to use reduced sodium soy sauce.