Ingredients of Lava Cake
- You need 1 1/4 cup of Sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of Flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Unsweetened Cocoa powder.
- You need 2 tsp of Baking Powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Milk.
- It’s 1/3 cup of Melted Butter.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract.
- You need 1/2 cup of Packed Brown Sugar.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cups of Hot Water.
Lava Cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat a pot of water on the stove to just under a simmer..
- In medium bowl, combine ¾ cup of the granulated sugar, ¼ cup of the cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk, melted butter and vanilla and mix until smooth..
- Pour batter into an lightly greased 9-inch square glass baking dish and spread evenly..
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup cocoa, and brown sugar and mix well. Sprinkle evenly over the batter in your dish. Pour the hot water over top, but do not stir!.
- Bake 35-40 minutes – or until the center is almost set. Remove your dish from the oven and allow it to stand for 15 minutes. Standing is a crucial step to allow the fudgey "lava" to set..
- Spoon the lava cake into bowls – making sure to get the fudgey sauce from the bottom of the pan. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired and serve..